Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Talk Talk


A couple weeks back I ventured into the annals of time in search of the first post-rock albums. A few artists piked my interest but none to the degree of Talk Talk. It's not the quintessential post-rock feel I get from Mogwai but something much more fundamental. They were innovators with Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock - I think of the songs more in terms of atmospheres than melody or rhythm. Take a listen to hear what I mean: the layering of disparate sounds and ambiance, phasing of volumes... But beyond the songs themselves the albums are complete entities. Each of the songs is memorable but its all so cohesive; it doesn't drive towards a goal, instead it builds to become what I can only describe as a feeling. I don't quite mean emotional but it's beyond objective enjoyment. I don't piece apart its musical mechanics like with most music, it just flows. The movement of the instruments to the likeness of Hollis's voice mesmerizes me, like a ghost fleeting in and out reality.

The Rainbow takes a long time to get going, and they are all long songs, but give them justice, and check out the albums if you like these songs.

Ascension Day (Laughing Stock)


Taphead (Laughing Stock)


The Rainbow (Spirit Of Eden)

0 comments:

Post a Comment