Friday, January 8, 2010

Portico Quartet


Never before have I been so entranced by the sounds of a steel drum, normally they become far to jarring to my ears but Portico Quartet makes them work! But I came to find out, it isn't a steel pan, but an entirely new type of instrument. The Hang as it's called was invented within the last decade, and is in continuous refinement with the addition of metallurgical and acoustic research. It looks like a flying saucer with indents around the surface. Apparently it is played with hands and fingers, which gives the soft melodic sound production. I was just recently introduced to these guys and with such perfect timing because I'm just starting to take a deeper appreciation for the tone which different saxophonists use. Jack Wyllie (saprano and alto sax) produces an incredibly sweet, soft sound. And I'm loving the sporadic bowed double bass. All around a very well put together jazz group.

Zavodovski Island


CittĂ gazze

0 comments:

Post a Comment